The Benefits of Clean Electricity
Did you know that the traditional production of electricity is the largest source of industrial air pollution in the U.S.? That’s the bad news. The good news is that with Green Mountain you can choose to support clean, 100% pollution-free, renewable electricity instead. You can actually be part of the solution to this pollution problem!
The benefits of generating electricity using clean renewable resources are broad, ranging from environmental to economic. By choosing clean electricity you can do something positive for the environment today that also creates benefits for the generations of tomorrow
- No emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2), mercury, nitrogen oxide (NOx), sulfur dioxide (SO2) or particulate matter into the air, water or soil. Commonly cited effects of these harmful pollutants include climate change, mercury poisoning, acid rain and smog
- Doesn’t require fossil-fuel extraction that seriously damages the land
- Made from unlimited renewable sources that will never run out, unlike limited and polluting fossil fuel sources
- Helps preserve and protect the environment for future generations
- Creates employment opportunities in the green job sector in the U.S.; between 1998 and 2007, clean energy economy jobs — a mix of white-and blue-collar positions — grew by 9.1 percent, while total jobs grew by only 3.7 percent (Pew Charitable Trust)
- Helps secure America’s energy future by investing in domestic sources of energy
No matter which of these reasons is most important to you, any one of them can be a great motivation to choose cleaner electricity from Green Mountain!
- Brings development to rural areas, where renewable facilities are often sited to take advantage of ample space and resource potential