|A Group of Green Santas to Spread "Green" Holiday Cheer Across the State|
|Monday, 29 November 2010 03:00|
Green Mountain Energy Company’s Green Santas will give Texans “gift of green” and provide green holiday tips as part of Texas Tour
See if your City is on one of the 4 stops on Green Santas’ multi-city Texas Tour
AUSTIN, TEXAS – Although there is only one “true” Santa Claus, this holiday season Green Mountain Energy Company is introducing a troupe of Green Santas to thousands of Texans throughout the state. Donned in green Santa costumes with all the Santa trimmings, the Green Santas will visit four locations in two Texas cities to greet the public and give residents of all ages an early holiday gift.
Green Mountain’s Green Santas Texas City tour will begin in the Rio Grande Valley on Tuesday, Nov. 30, and conclude in Fort Worth on Friday, December 3rd.
The Green Santas will distribute earth-shaped plantable seed postcards to remind Texans to think green this holiday season, and to give themselves and the earth the best gift of all – 100% Pollution Freesm electricity from Green Mountain.
The Green Santas will also share tips with passersby on how they can have a green holiday season (See green holiday tips at end of document) and pose for pictures with shoppers. Additionally, the Green Santas will hand out information about a special limited-time offer for Pollution Freesm electricity from Green Mountain’s website that can be redeemed at www.greenmountain.com through December 31, 2010.
“This holiday season, we want to remind Texans that they can make a difference and have an impact on the environment every day of the year,” said Paul Markovich, President, Residential Services, Green Mountain Energy Company. “The holidays are a time of good cheer, but they also mean increased electricity use, which can take a toll on the environment. By choosing clean, 100% pollution-free electricity, Texans can give themselves and the environment the best gift of all.”
Green Mountain has been serving Texas residential and business customers for nine years with electricity that is significantly cleaner than typical system power in Texas. Green Mountain was the first renewable energy provider in Texas to offer cleaner electricity when the state opened the retail electric market to competition in 2001.
Green Mountain Energy® electricity products are offered in the Oncor, CenterPoint, TNMP, AEP Texas North, and AEP Texas Central utility service areas. A partial list of Texas cities in the areas Green Mountain serves includes: Dallas and Fort Worth Metropolitan areas; Arlington; Houston Metropolitan area; Corpus Christi; several markets in the Rio Grande Valley including Harlingen and McAllen; Waco, Killeen, Tyler, Round Rock, and Pflugerville.
GREEN MOUNTAIN’S GREEN SANTA MULTI-CITY TEXAS TOUR – SCHEDULE/LOCATIONS
The Green Santa’s will visit 2 cities and four different locations during their multi-city holiday tour.
TUESDAY, NOV. 3O (Rio Grande Valley) (3locations)
3601 Pecan Blvd, McAllen (Cross Streets: Between FM-2220 and Main St.)
5001 East Expressway 83, Mercedes, Texas
310 N. Westgate Drive, Weslaco, Texas
FRIDAY, DEC. 3 (Fort Worth)
201 Main Street Fort Worth
GREEN MOUNTAIN’S TOP 10 WAYS TO BE GREEN THIS HOLIDAY SEASON
1. Reduce your household’s share of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by choosing Pollution Free electricity from Green Mountain.
2. When entertaining guests, avoid using disposable dinnerware; opt for washable plates, utensils, and linens to help reduce waste.
3. Purchase eco-friendly gifts for your friends and family that give back to the environment.
4. Bring a reusable bag when shopping to carry your purchases instead of plastic bags to help reduce waste.
5. Use stringed LED holiday lights to decorate your home. These lights are up to 90 percent more efficient than incandescent lights and can last up to 20 years!
6. Set up timers for your holiday lights to limit their use to six hours a day or less.
7. Wrap gifts in newspaper, fabric, or recycled materials instead of purchasing wrapping paper to help reduce waste and reuse materials already in your home.
8. Send online e-cards instead of printed greeting cards to reduce paper waste and save time and postage.
9. Gather friends and family and donate time to an environmental group. Volunteering is a great way to get into the holiday spirit!
10. Recycle your Christmas tree or holiday garlands for a good cause. Many cities have curbside pickup for tree recycling or mulching programs, or you can find a recycling center in your area by visiting www.earth911.com.
Green Mountain Energy Company
Green Mountain, the nation’s leading competitive retail provider of cleaner energy and carbon offset solutions, was founded in 1997 “to change the way power is made.” The company is the longest serving green power marketer in the U.S. Green Mountain offers consumers and businesses the choice of clean electricity products from renewable sources, such as wind, as well as a variety of carbon offset products. Green Mountain customers have collectively helped avoid over 11.3 billion pounds of CO2 emissions. As a wholly owned subsidiary of NRG Energy, Green Mountain is backed by one of the nation’s largest renewable power producers. For more information, visit GreenMountain.com