Green Mountain Energy Company shares our customers’ commitment to the environment. We are inspired by the success that we have already achieved together, and are passionate about continuing to work towards changing the way power is made. In addition to the pursuit of this important mission, we believe in operating our company in a sustainable way.
We are also committed to product integrity. In order to reinforce our commitment, Green Mountain hires an independent third-party auditor to ensure our renewable energy and carbon offset purchases accurately match our retail sales volumes. The audit includes examination and testing of our records, including our customer sales records, renewable energy credit and carbon offset purchase contracts and attestations, and product content labels. We conduct this "green audit" on an annual basis. Read the latest audit report.
Green Mountain “walks the talk”. Here are a few examples:
• We estimate the CO2 emissions from all of our key business activities and act to reduce or offset them. We pledge to offset 100% of our corporate emissions with green power and carbon offset purchases, which we have done since 2004.
• Green Mountain Energy Company achieved the Silver certification level for the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification for the interior space of its corporate headquarters in downtown Austin, Texas. At the time of construction, our office was only the 2nd LEED Silver Commercial Interior rated space in Texas.
• We have an active employee commuting program and reward our top commuters every month, recently earning us the 2009 Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce “Take on Traffic” Award.
• A group of Green Mountain employees, the "Green Ambassadors", promotes environmental stewardship, supports the environmental policies throughout the company and sponsors sustainable events such as nature trail cleanups.
• Earth Day is our favorite holiday! That’s when our main company celebration takes place, which usually includes a variety of activities, such as workshops, speakers, nature trail cleanups and environmentally-friendly gifts for all employees.
• We have worked with American Forests to preserve forest ecosystems by planting more than 100,000 trees since 1997.
• We have strong employee participation in Earth Share's annual giving campaign. In addition, employees can also purchase renewable energy credits to offset a portion of their household’s electricity use through our Employee Offset program.
• We use environmentally preferable printing methods whenever possible, including using soy-based inks on paper made with at least 50% post-consumer fiber and benign whitening products. The durable goods purchased must be made free of child labor and with no old-growth forest content.
• Through our long time membership in the Coalition of Environmentally Responsible Economies coalition, we publicly issue a biannual sustainability report that discloses our corporate environmental policies and performance. Our 2010-2011 Ceres sustainability report will be published in 2012.
View our sustainability report