Green Mountain Energy Company shares our customers’ commitment to the environment. We are inspired by the success that we have already achieved together, and are passionate about continuing to work towards changing the way power is made. In addition to the pursuit of this important mission, we believe in operating our company in a sustainable way, with our employees taking the lead on many of our green initiatives.
We've outlined a few key ways that we "walk the walk" below:
• Our customers make a difference. We offer consumers and businesses the choice of cleaner electricity, as well as carbon offsets and sustainable solutions for businesses. Since 1997, our customers have avoided 24.5 billion pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2), which is like:
• We stand behind our products. We open our books each year to a third-party auditor who confirms our customers are getting what we've promised them, tying 100% of the renewable energy and carbon offsets our customers purchase through the chain of ownership back to the renewable energy or offset project owner. See our latest audit results.
• We're renewably powered. We use 100% renewable energy in all of our offices. That includes the 100% wind energy we use to power this website. We also recently installed an energy monitoring system in our corporate headquarters to help us better manage our energy use.
• We're carbon-neutral (or pretty darn close). Since 2004, we have annually measured and offset 100% of our corporate greenhouse gas emissions. From 2006-2012, our emissions intensity per employee declined 38%. We're working toward reducing this number by another 10% from 2012-2013. View our greenhouse gas trends.
• We take action. The Green Ambassadors are a volunteer team of 50+ employees who influence company environmental policies, like our printing and purchasing standards, and organize a host of educational and volunteer events, like maintaining a community garden and street clean-ups. Learn more about our environmental policies.
• We lead by example. The Green Ambassadors helped design a recently launched environmental employee engagement program, Sustainable Me, that encourages employees to measure their carbon footprint and take action to reduce it. For example, our Green Commuter program rewards employees for using more environmentally friendly commuting methods. Check out all of our Sustainable Me offerings.